Chief Technology Officer & Photographer | Irvine, CA

Matt Leinart on the trading block? SHOCKER!

<end sarcasm>

Not like this wasn’t coming after Leinart opened his mouth on Monday spitting off comments about how “this goes further than football” about coach Ken Whizenhunt.  Come on Matt – really?  The Arizona Cardinals have dished out a ton of cash for you and have said “he’s the franchise” on more than one occasion – so like I yelled all season long at Clinton Portis, I now turn to you, play like you’re paid, and stop being a bitch.

Now the Cardinals are shopping him around – ESPN is reporting that they are in talks with the Giants, Bills, and the Raiders.  What spots are they going to fill?  We definitely don’t need to fill up a QB spot – Andersen, Skelton, and Hall have all played up to par this pre-season, and even though Skelton and Hall are super young and relatively untested, I think they’ll perform way better than Leinart will this season.  Leinart is not a “leader” – Fitz is a leader, Kurt was a leader, Dansby was a leader – Leinart doesn’t possess the quality that those players have.

I’ve now had 2 separate conversations about “how much do you think Fitz is involved in this decision?”.  Honestly, the leagues best receiver has to have a pretty big part in this conversation.  Matt strung him out, threw high, and bam, Larry busted up his knee (not to mention came down upside down on his head).  Leinart has a history of interceptions, and over the past few years, he looks like he’s scared on his release and he throws high so hopefully his staff of tall receivers will just jump up over the backs and grab the ball.  This is a dangerous situation though – no receiver in his right mind would want to (even though they’ll likely make Sportscenter) go up and catch balls like that for 16+ games a season – that’s a recipe for disaster when one over-zealous linebacker goes in for the kill.

We should have (and it pains me to say this) snagged up McNabb when we had the chance, however, we’ve done pretty well with picking up QB’s for a “second shot” at their career – look how well Kurt played after backing up Manning in NY, and then backing up the now defunct Leinart.

Comments

1. Tyler Hurst says:

2. I think that was his biggest mistake – it’s ok to be upset for being demoted, but to whine to the press without saying a word to Whiz (who’s openly said he has an open door policy) is just down right stupid. Sounds like another Anquan just wanting to be traded for whatever reason…

3. Chuck says:

ya never saw this coming. As much as he isn’t playing good they’re not giving him the chance to fall on his face and prove himself. Never have.

4. Under Whizenhunt, he has to prove he can play – he hasn’t proved that – at least not on national television.

Hey – maybe we’ll see an inter-division trade and he can go play for the Seahawks since he’s only ever played well for Pete Carroll. haha

5. Tyler Hurst says:

Hasselbeck may be old, but he’s 10x the leader Leinart is.

6. I completely agree with you Tyler. I’ve heard such things as “Matt is going to end up in the CFL”, but I also just read an ESPN blog post that states that Matt has connections with Oakland through his USC days – that’d be awesome. Oakland is now like the NFL graveyard – where players go to fizzle out! hahaha

7. Gerritt says:

I know he has been playing with the bottom of the roster, but the Cards should groom Max Hall to be a starter in the next couple seasons. He brings an enthusiasm you want to see from a QB and hasn’t played bad for an undrafted rookie. I would like to see him get jarred a few times and gain some more confidence among his teammates before I really advertise him though. But to me he seems like he has the most promise in an otherwise dismal QB scenario.

8. Chris Lee says:

There must be other stuff going on. Leinart definitely didn’t get a real shot. His numbers weren’t bad. The O Line & running game was terrible. And he got nowhere near the reps of Anderson. So far, Wiz has proved to be a smart guy and a great coach. If there wasn’t something else happening, I can’t see why he wouldn’t give Leinart a fair chance. My bet is that he’s just a punk. Doesn’t have the attitude or character to lead the team. I think some of that has come through in the way he’s spoken to the media over the past week.

9. Jewel Mooney says:

Would have loved McNabb instead of this crap we’re in now. Trade Leinart for some high picks or some O-Line help and wish him the best. Regardless of how he plays, team leaders don’t whine to the press until they talk to the coach, and only an idiot would mention that he hadn’t talked to the coach while whining to the press.

Trackbacks